At League of Geeks, we dedicate ourselves to crafting engaging game experiences with a unique charm and innovative gameplay. We're looking for a Senior Level Designer with systems design skills to create memorable combat sequences and help develop the procedural level building tools and pipeline for our ambitious new project.
As a collaborative, agile team, we love generalists possessing deep specialisations, so while level design will be your focus, you'll have opportunities to expand into combat design and the systems design of a procedural level generation logic to speed up level creation now and post-launch. You'll use your critical thinking, collaboration skills, sense of visual aesthetics and creativity to set our design pillars in action and fine-tune the experience to delight our players.
We are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world and you will become a core member of the LoG family making that a reality. Not to mention you’ll be part of our planning meetings, greater design discussions, and of course Friday afternoon events, weekly Dog Day, and more.
If you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios and get in on the ground floor for our new, original IP, we want to hear from you.
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- Extensive experience in designing levels as part of a professional game design team.
- Good understanding of combat mechanics, systems design and the careful balance that makes or breaks player engagement.
- Resourcefulness in crafting varied, unexpected and delightful new play experiences from existing mechanics
- Critical thinking and the ability to give and receive feedback
- Excellent written and verbal communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Thoroughness and high attention to detail.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- 8+ years of commercial development experience, with at least one published PC or console title.
- Experience with Unity, Confluence and Jira.
- Scripting skills, extra bonus points for AI-related scripting.
- Understanding of games-as-a-service development.
- Interest in environmental storytelling
- Knack for mentoring others.
- Take ownership of level design, significant features, systems and content as a key member of the design team.
- Work with the tools and in-game editor to design and implement levels, and tweak and tune the player experience.
- Develop and maintain design documents that clearly communicate concepts to our multidisciplinary team.
- Articulate and shepherd complicated design discussions and reviews to reach objective rather than subjective outcomes.
- Collaborate with other departments, ensuring positive communication and creative problem-solving between disciplines.
- Participate in scoping and iterating on high-level plans, budgets and schedules.
- Analyse game data and user feedback to extract insights and improvements for our game.
- Provide mentoring, feedback and assist in the career development of other team members, when relevant.
- Conduct design research into industry best practices and design solutions.
- Weekly bring-your-dog-to-work day. Yeah, dogs!
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Professional development track, mentorship and support.
- Monthly self-directed professional development and game jam days.
- Friday afternoon team social events.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and MIGW party.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
How to Apply:
If this role and a future at LoG sounds good to you, send a cover letter, an up-to-date CV and folio with examples of your work to careers(at)leagueofgeeks(dot)com. In your cover letter, please include a few sentences about your opinion on a game with the best level design and why it stands out.
Relocation assistance is available for the perfect applicant.
Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, there will be a slow response time but we will endeavour to get back to everyone who shows interest!